Sunday, March 18, 2012

Wells Ave #1 & #2 Wrap-Up

Bike racing has begun! And Base-36 sure did start it off on a good note. The season is officially under way and  early season form (or lack thereof) is showing itself in full light...no shadows to hide in out on the race course. Slipstreams? Yes, but you can't win a race without ever leaving the comfort of a slipstream!

Wells Ave #1 - 3/11/2012 - Jon, Jeff, Liam, & Travis

Jon (on his way to his first race - woohoo!), Liam, Jeff (his 300th Wells Ave), and I carpooled down to Wells Ave on Sunday. Departing the Scarborough Par & Ride at 6:00AM in order to make the C race and support our newest teammate Jon at his first race ever. He definitely has experienced group rides and workouts that trump any C (which is Cat 5) race, but a race is a race and everyone has his or her first. And that is best shared in the company of dear friends and, if you are lucky enough, your daughter!

We made good time and were at Wells Ave with ample time for Jon to warm up. Shortly after we arrived we saw Lauren, Jon's daughter, who made the T trip from Boston to come watch. Jeff, Liam, Lauren, and I huddled in the still running car as it was far chillier out than we anticipated (not fun). Once it got closer to Jon's race we registered for our race and hung outside for a bit. Sadly, I was changing in the car when Jon's race went off. Luckily the guys got a lot of pictures! Jon settled in to the groove of the race within a few laps - those darn C/Cat 5 races can be quite scary. Jon held tight and before he knew it there were less than 5 laps (of a total 12) remaining. Jon has a very strong aerobic base and a very good ability to tempo, but has never had sprint training. Due to these facts, we were positive he would stick the race out fine but were genuinely interested to see how the sprint went for him. By the end of the race there were 3 off the front and it was going to be tight to stick his nose into the top 10 for his first race ever. Coming around to the finish, we could see some of the racers standing - Jon was not immediately visible. But 200m from the finish and he had pulled out, laying the hammer down as best he could have absolutely zero sprinting experience or training (don't worry - Jeff is going to get him up to par very quickly!). Jon took it all the way to the line, giving a last ditch effort to get every inch he could, and happily finished his first race with an 8th place finish! Given that Jon's strength is tempo work and suffering at holding threshold with Cat 3 and better riders who are laying it down, we were all very excited to see him show some good acceleration and push himself into a zone in which he has little experience.

It was a good day in the C race, but the A race was quickly approaching and Jeff, Liam, and I were geared up and warming up for our first real kick in the behind of the season. The race was definitely a bit jittery, as expected from the first race of almost every single cyclist's season. It settled down a bit after 5 laps but never was fully relaxed all-around. Jeff and Liam played it smart and tucked in neatly, conserving energy as needed. This was Liam's second outdoor ride of the season (SMR the previous day was his first). Needless to say, I can't imagine how bad his lungs were bleeding in the race...as I have been training straight through and I was sucking wind here and there. I stayed towards the front, ready to attack with any reasonable break. My efforts were simply a waste of energy on this day, as no break stuck for more than a lap or two, and I cut myself down slightly for the final sprint. Jeff had a mechanical issue, his bars got shaken up from the racing and they slipped forward to the point of danger. He intelligently took a lap to tighten them for had he not he would have risked disaster. He was back in the next lap and smoothly navigating the pack as always. Liam was really digging deep on the surges and stuck it out until a few laps to go - a great effort and a huge workout for him. I am positive that Liam had the most benefit of the three of us that day.

The final lap came along and I did my best to make my way up the right side on the back stretch...too bad the mini-break jammed perfectly in my line. I was already in a pinch and we weren't even into the final turn. My game-plan backfired due to the fact that the break inconveniently landed in my lap. I lost several places and was barely within the top 20 at this point. Unless the sea parted or I utilized the sidewalk, the sprint was going to be mediocre at best. I slid up a few spots in the last turn but found myself in the gutter, so close that my downstroke was vicariously flirting with the undulating and threatening curb. I would have gladly "curb-stomped" the hole I had gotten backed into, but I definitely had no interest in pedaling into the concrete simply to slide up any more positions. With about 250m to go, people finally made a surge to sprint - I thought I would finally get a hole to utilize the fresh 'pop' I felt like I had in my legs. I stomped to accelerate and nearly steamrolled the younger athlete in front of me who had no acceleration whatsoever. I nailed my breaks, swerved left of his rear wheel, and accelerated once more. I could see a group of 7+ already out in full sprint...a few had already started to show their superiority by gaining on the several people working to race to a top 10. I hit the gas full-on and eyed the group that was pulling away. Soon enough they had stopped gaining distance and I did everything to reel them in despite the line being only 50m away with their 15m+ lead. Luckily I continued to accelerate through the finish and passed that secondary group to pull out a 5th place finish. I was moderately disappointed with the place number, but satisfied with the ability to get out of that hole into which I had been backed so deeply. I was happy with 5th, as in a normal race that would still score me 2 points. First race, check. Next race, be in position for the finish and let the legs do the 'leg work'.

The ride home was nice, everyone was in fairly good spirits having gotten through the first race safely and with decent results. Two top-10's to begin the season...and Jon's booties (which he let me borrow as I didn't prepare for the surprisingly colder than expected weather) have never finished out of top-10! 2 for 2!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wells Ave #2: 3/18/2012 - Jon & Travis

Jon was very excited to embark on his second race ever, with many fewer nerves and a lot more confidence in his grasp of being in a race and understanding the development within the race. I was looking for a top placing in order to help solidify my Category 3 upgrade. Our plans of Glory shattered during Jon's (and about 10 other athletes') warm up. The race was being canceled due to the Community Center at Wells Ave having a major event. The Wells Ave Criterium officials had apparently made sure this was not going to be happening and were informed of that fact...but sure enough no one informed the BRC (Boston Road Club) that this had, in fact, changed.

We departed Wells Ave with moderate frustration - as Jon's excitement for being able to relax and enjoy a race and my excitement for giving a high placing a shot were crushed. Luckily, with a full day to spare thanks to our 6AM departure from Scarborough, we headed to my house off of RT88 and rode most of the PVC Tuesday Night Ride loop. Focused on hitting the hills hard and we did a repeat of the dirt section off of Depot/Mayall Rd in order to spark some mental excitement for the upcoming Battenkill! We logged a good, strong 44 miles and Jon was strong through the end. Impressive improvements for Jon, I'm surely excited to see his growth as he continues to make massive gains so early in the season and in his cycling career.

I hope it was a big day all around for every athlete in this unheard of New England weather. As my uncle always says: "Go fast, take chances."

Every day is a gift...don't hesitate to open it up like a can of whoop-ass!

No comments:

Post a Comment