Sunday, March 3, 2013

Fatness to Fitness: Pursuit of Progress

In a corollary to my previous post that discussed progress on an intellectual and self-understanding basis, here is that progress realized in my own recent training.

It's (almost) completely true what they said: "If you want to take cycling seriously then go south for winter training, your gains will be huge." The almost is thrown in there because you need to be prepared to work better, harder, longer than you have ever before. And you have to do it while recovering far better than you ever have before. I was riding with a long-time pro cyclist (thanks Kurt for setting me up with a Tucson guide!) and he flat out said, "If you came here to train like a pro, you will recover like a pro." This was in response to me saying I woke up before my alarm. I was foolish enough to ask "why", but glad I did. Answer: You sleep as long as you need. No less, and usually more.

Nota bene: I make this next statement knowing that my weight fluctuates quite insanely, likely because I am more cut out to be a professional eater than an amateur cyclist. Seriously. Anyway, I have dropped some serious weight in preparation for the training and season. After travelling to Italy and Israel, the difficulties of this summer, and detoxing after a very (situationally) disappointing cycling season - I only actually raced until June 26, of which my result was "best road rash". I came back at the end of August and yet again got in an unfortunate scenario, and was lucky to only have a broken derailleur hanger. I hit a lifetime high in weight (173.5lbs for a 5'6.5" 'athlete' is not good) and was in relatively poor fitness on November 4th, 2012. Luckily my 'fatness' yielded 'fitness' in the local end-season race the Doppio Ciclo Saturday Morning Ride, because it is very flat and sprint focused...plus, I rode close to textbook in the ride aside from a flat tire (never discount the factor that your head is part of the game).

I digress, basically from that day in November - disappointed and sick to think of the number I saw (I sit around 150-155 at heaviest when in shape) - I knew 2013 training prep was happening NOW. I wrote a post "2013: The Beginning" after Thanksgiving indulgences. From that day I've been in a steady weight decline, and MORE IMPORTANTLY (!!) a steady fitness incline. I stress this so strongly because (especially as cyclists) we are incorrectly taught to believe that low weight always means high fitness. Fitness in cycling is a combination of three things: Power, Weight, Skills. Skills include everything from smoothness in riding to intangibles like having a Steve Prefontaine mindset of pain being an insult and going harder (or everything unlike a classical Steve Prefontaine mindset and being a smart, clever, and tactical athlete). Since that day my weight has dropped 15% and my "tangible fitness" has increased over 10%. I am now back to a weight I only saw in April of 2012 before a week off after Battenkill, when I (unsurprisingly) lost my edge of keeping everything in my life in line. I'm much healthier and much more fit than I was in November. I hope you have improved your health since the holidays as well.

Even though I am 3 weeks into Tucson training. I feel great. A bit tired, absolutely. I owe a huge thanks to some people back home who made this trip possible, but that's for it's own post. I also owe a pretty heavy duty thanks to Kurt Perham, my coach and guide since Decemeber, as he navigates me through fitness levels, training loads, and workouts I have never seen nor knew were possible. Probably his greatest aid has been keeping me smart. I work hard, often too hard to even reap the benefits of my efforts. And I love cycling, to the point I do 'too much' for the sole reason that "it's fun!" One of the key factors in choosing Kurt as a coach was that when I had done a pretty huge week - two centuries were a part of it - he emailed me out of the blue (AKA his reasonable concern for my foolish training).

I am absolutely loving Tucson. Apparently the weather has been "bad" - as I scripted this last week we were about to get some serious rain for the second time in my first 10 days (it's going to be in the low 40's temp) and the temps have been mostly under 70's which is also a touch low. Only in a place this perfect for training is that considered bad! Luckily, it has recovered. This weekend was 80F+ each day, and I survived while logging 9 hours alone! I tend to be pretty weak in the heat...

I've been training solidly since my day off upon arriving here. The first week I had some great workouts (last Thursday's tempo), some nice rides (up to the top of Mt. Lemmon, 8200ft), and getting my face kicked in on a group ride for the first time in a long time (Saturday Shootout). I'm so glad I'm here it is hard to express. The culture is really friendly, despite there being some very heavy-hitting athletes who come this way. I chatted with a group of Canadians at local coffee shop, Le Buzz. I also saw the Jamis Hagens Berman team on a training ride, kitted out, rolling away from Mt. Lemmon as I was on my way to tack on a few extra miles uphill...no I did not ride with or attempt to ride with them.

The most interesting part of being here so far is obviously the cycling as a whole, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the few times I've ridden with Adam Myerson - most of you back home should know the name. Long time pro, ambassador of CX, and the guy who heads the Team Mountain Khakis squad. He rolled out of town last Monday so my training has been 'lonlier' but of no less quality and, at times, even better quality. As athletes training for specificity, we must embrace the solitude of training - today I went out on my TT bike for over 3.5 hours and about 70 miles. My longest ride on it was about 1.5 hours and this would be my first real intensity on it. I was definitely nervous about how it would go: mostly my neck/back acting up from hammering in aero position. Then there was that 98 miles solo yesterday, where I hit a 60min climb pretty hard. Legs were sluggish, breathing was much different in the TT tuck position, and it took quite a bit of work to push through it.

This will be my first workout in A LONG TIME without using my power meter, I felt like a pilot who couldn't look around within his cockpit. But it was something I seriously need: to feel both my body and the bike and not look at a gauge of numbers. This is one area in which I lack proficiency (or skill whatsoever!) due to my scientific approach to cycling and life. I rode by feel, it felt weird, and then it clicked. I was smashing it - the second 30min interval was a 1.5% uphill grade and into a small headwind. I averaged 21+mph and, most important, felt like I hit my tempo dead on! Feel is one of the things in cycling that is unteachable. It is able to be developed, but it requires separation from certain things upon which we so comfortably rely.
A shot from the top (of the road, not mountain) at Madera Canyon from yesterday's ride.

I definitely made a jump out of my comfort zone. I nearly bailed on riding the TT bike because I had the opportunity to use the excuse "well I have to adjust a couple things and don't want to wait". I'm glad I didn't take the easy way out, because today's single ride on the TT bike solidified my enjoyment of it...which I will need to embrace on my 3.1 mile time trial on March 15th! That's gonna hurt.... :)

More progress will be made in the coming weeks, but not without three of my best pals: work, pain, and sacrifice!

No comments:

Post a Comment