Monday, March 25, 2013

Cinnamon Rolls: First GF Attempt!

Cinnamon Rolls: they are something of legend in my life. They are one of my few vices, so I usually pretend they do not exist or that wherever I see one is "probably not that good at making them" or "they are not healthy" or "not vegan" or "not gluten free". While at least one of those applies over 90% of the time (mostly just the not vegan/GF part :p).

Speaking of Cinnamon Rolls. Cyclists often go absolutely beserk for a good cinnamon roll. I surely do. So, it was proper that I was watching the Criterium Internationale summit finish and the Gent Wevelgem classic while making up these bad boys:



Adapted from this: http://hipgirlshome.com/blog/2012/12/31/cinnamon-rolls-gluten-free.html

But I reallyyy want to do this one: http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2012/12/gluten-free-cinnamon-rolls-vegan.html

1/4C Warm Water and 1 Packet yeast - set aside.

2.5C Arrowhead Mills GF Flour (Pancake/Baking Mix)

Mix (I have a handheld electric mixer here in Home Tu.0 - Tucson):
3T Applesauce (Unsweetened)
3T Earth Balance
1/3C Sugar (I did 50/50 of Brown & Wholesome Organic Sugar)
1tsp Salt

Mix into Butter mix:
2 Eggs
1/4C Almond Milk
1tsp Vanilla

Slowly add flour, halfway through add yeast mix

Roll onto the backside of a greased 9x13" baking pan (obviously make sure bottom is CLEAN!)

Mmmm.
Then mix up the goooodddd stuff:
1/4C Earth Balance
1/2C B Sugar
1T Cinnamon
1T Water

Heat oven to 200F then shut off.

Spread the "good stuff" atop the dough. Roll up the dough (lengthwise for more rolls, widthwise for BIG rolls). Beware - the cinnamon mixture will ooze out the roll. Cut the roll with a good sized knife - and grease the knife with cooking spray, it makes it soo easy to cut. This is especially key because GF flour can fray pretty easily.

I took excessive liberties with keeping the rolls spread out.
I re-rolled these bad boys by hand, I'm guessing they'll be the best ones! 
Put the rolled up dough into the oven to rise after spacing them out in Pyrex pan(s).

Once they have risen for 60mins, which should be enough time to clean everything you just made a mess of...

Bake for 14 mins on 350F (spin the pans after 7 mins).

Sadly I don't have picture of the finished rolls on my phone - and the rolls are packed in the car for my journey to Maine tomorrow. They came out exceptionally well, especially for a first attempt. They were a big hit with a group I rode with earlier today - even those who are not keen on the GF/Vegan diet.

Mix up the Icing: 1/2C powdered sugar and very very small amount of almond milk with a little (couple drops) vanilla and some cinnamon. Add the Almond Milk at a very little at a time until it has icing consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment