Monday, April 8, 2013

Raw Power: The 'Final' Food Test

You all have clearly seen that my posts are pretty much about two things: food and bikes. The latter is ever-changing because, well, that is the nature of cycling.

The former (at least for me) is an amoebic, morphing organism that evolves to seemingly better and better levels. This is well explained, as I don't really jump into things without considering the implications and benefits or possible detractions of such a change. Thus, my slow move into vegetarian was pretty smooth (minus that little self-diagnosed anemia, thanks to not having good options on a college meal plan). After that, I was more cautious about changing my diet. Basically I took a more educated approach than a trial & error method! Trial and error is great when the risk is between small and zero, but not when it deals with your health.

My trip to Books-A-Million...the foodie book store in the old port apparently closed. But it is now an OYSTER BAHH. Oyster fans, check it out.

Which leads me to a really good spot: anything you do to change your diet, training, etc make sure you know what you are doing, why you are doing it, and how you plan to go about it. (This could mean using previous knowledge, a coach, nutritionist, or books. I would say consult your doctor...but there is some chance you could hear that something like a vegan diet is "extreme" and you need milk/red meat/'protein'. My doctor responded well when I said I was vegan - however, I have heard some pretty surprising stories...but if you should ask your doctor for a nutritionist reference, then I am sure you're on very good track)

This probably won't be the 'final' food test as the post title suggests, but in my recent diet of vegan and then adding gluten free...going raw is the concept that I have (for quite a while) believed to be the 'ultimate'. The detractors of (increased) inconvenience, not being able to cook, and more adaptation kept it at bay until now.

What pushed it over the edge, you ask? Nothing in particular. I suppose basic desire for improving myself, something that is pretty constant in this great sport of cycling: every day I am better because I do more (sometimes less!) and forge on to greater progress.

At some point I'll go into greater detail on the intricacies of eating raw. The basic idea is that everything is in its simplest form, ready to be disgested and completely unprocessed. There is no breakdown of enzymes. The food is pure.

My plan going forward (key: having a PLAN!! is key to changing things up): I'm not sure if I will go 100% raw because I truly enjoy cooking and baking, and there are some things that become quite difficult when being 100% raw. So the long term is a "we shall see". The short term will basically go as this:
  • Buy more foods in raw form - and reduce non-raw purchases (see picture A)
  • Cook/bake for specific purposes that I really enjoy versus cooking because it's what I am used to
  • Work on un-cooking/un-baking (making things that are both raw and require preparation: see picture B)
  • Make my current 'favorites' in raw form (granola bars, muffins, brownies, etc)
My trip to BJ's. When you eat as much as me, you buy in bulk.
Some things probably won't go, honestly my OTB (on the bike) food works so well I am hesitant to alter that. Bars + PROBARs have fueled me to many sucessful races and workouts over the past year that I don't intend to leave them behind. I will try to make my bars in a raw form - without boiling the  nut butter/sweetener mixture and also not baking them....time for a dehydrator or long-term uncovered fridge storage (poor man's dehydrator!).

Here's the TK take on RAW POWAHH. My theory in shortest form: Raw Power = More Watts = Win.

1 comment:

  1. I always get the "how are you going to get any protein without meat?" question. I respond, "how do you think cows get all that muscle when all they eat is vegetables?"
    The usual response, "uhhhh, yeah. I guess, but it still seems crazy."

    ReplyDelete