Sunday, February 3, 2013

Pursuit of Glory 2013 takes it to the Southwest!

The 2013 campaign is under way. It pretty much began in the end of November when I committed to hiring a coach. I knew hiring someone was going to be a big part of stepping up my riding, and the intelligence of my training. Luckily, there is a coach nearby who I have seen often over my 2 years on a bike and with whom I have connected well. Hiring a coach in November is a lot better than hiring someone in February, especially when you plan to be racing early and strong. It's been going well and I finally feel the fitness coming back following a far too long hiatus.

The biggest step towards growing in cycling, aside from training solidly and intelligently is doing what is best described as "taking it to the Next Level": I'll be heading out to Arizona for two months to bump up my training quality, volume, and enjoyment...and also to gain a bit of fitness and lose a bit of fatness. At home I hang with the upper tier of riders and can stick with almost anyone. When I am fit, it is uncommon for me to get absolutely pummeled on rides without others being pretty tired. By no means am I saying that I am great, but I have worked very, very hard to get to a level where I can ride strong in Maine. Now, it is time to dive right in to the winter training Mecca of the US: Tucson. I have no idea what it is like, and less of an idea of how badly I am going to get by ass whooped. All I know is that I am going to have an amazing experience and I will be riding with (read: wayyy behind) many of the best amateurs in the US.

I leave for Tucson, AZ on Tuesday morning for about two months. This idea has been considered for 9 months, but only became a real possibility and option since November. Therefore, with all that life brings it has been a wildly busy last two months: preparing work, home, family, and biking stuff for the temporary relocation. Making connections, finding a place to rent (two months is hard to find unless you're paying twice what you want - but I found a spot for a good price), and getting a solo road trip planned are not easy tasks either. Here's the plan:

Tuesday: Home - DC (9-10hrs)
Wednesday: DC - Nashville, TN (10hrs) - a place I've never been. Let me know what I must see!
Thursday: Nashville - Oklahoma City, OK (10)
Friday: OKC - Somewhere in New Mexico! Santa Fe seems likely (~8hrs)
Saturday: NM - Tucson, AZ (~8hrs)

I might stay a full day in Oklahoma if the weather is very cycling friendly, then make the beast 15 hour trek to Arizona the day after. We shall see. All I know is that in 48 HOURS I will be on my way to Arizona. This is wild that it is actually happening, it's gonna be a blast.

I'll be putting in effort to keep people updated via the blog. Pictures will likely be all over my facebook feed, etc so you'll know there is ZERO snow and LOTS of sun around me (except when hitting some of those 8000ft plus peaks...snow will be seen!).

Here's a nice shot of the climb up to Mt Lemmon, which peaks at over 9000ft. The highest altitude I have ever been on a bike is less than 3000ft. On the way up Mt Lemmon, I will be climbing 6000ft. I think my largest net gain in a climb is around 2300ft...I'll be multiplying that by 6 or so. Crazy, but also awesome.


1 comment: