Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Tucson, Week 1. In pictures.

Hope you all enjoy my first week in Tucson in Pictures!

First step upon arrival. Put trainer way in corner :).

Mexican PEPSI! REAL stuff, no American junk. I actually haven't drank it yet...I have to remind myself it is not against the anti-soda Travis, I'll likely have it after a ride when it gets hot (80ish) so I can feel like I'm in a commercial :p.
Also, I got a 6lb, 10oz container of salsa at the same store (17th St Farmer's Market) for $4.99! Woohoo!

Some 2013 words of wisdom from PBM Coaching & Kurt, utilizing The Who logo.

Sweat much? And it was only endurance and only 65F!

Redington Pass (cat 2 dirt climb). Yep, see that road? I was there about 15 mins before

Vegan 2 bean meatloaf! AWESOME!


Mt. Lemmon. The Queen of Tucson. At 9157ft it is the highest of the Santa Catalina Mountains (yes, I looked it up). Climbing it you go from ~2700ft to a max of ~8200ft, which is over a full mile of climbing in 21 miles riding. Given little downhills, you get almost 6500ft uphill while climbing! BEAST. Half of the mountain is considered an "above category climb"...it almost could be 3 HC climbs!
The other day while doing intervals with a friend. We stopped for the most beautiful pee break ever. Overlooking a valley between ridges - the road we rode up (haha) is in the tress on the lower left. It's amazing seeing mountains like this. I kept excitedly asking Adam "Is that the top?!" as we saw peak after peak. About the tenth time I asked we were finally there. With these really big mountains (especially in they are layered, and you'll never see the peak from the base.

If you want some cool reading on mountain structure, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topographic_prominence :).
Amazing. This was taken shortly after a massive fire burned down the entirety of Summerhaven, the small 'town' at the top of Mt. Lemmon. There is still the remnant foundation of one of the buildings that was there.

Two words: COOKIE CABIN. A little (non-vegan, non-GF) cookie monster's delight atop Mt. Lemmon in Summerhaven. A ~1000kcal cookie. Adam and I  didn't get close to finishing each of ours, even after burning 2500kJ on the climb (although many people who drove up devoured them with ease...). Needless to say, we got doggy bags: my roommates were VERY happy to hear I brought home goodies :).
Sexy. Tan. Lines. Cultivation of cyclist beauty...speaking of beauty, please see the next picture.
A little URXC Tribute, and moreso to that time I was "Once A Runner". If you are an athlete and haven't read Once A Runner by John L Parker Jr, then get on it (yes, such an amazing book deserves proper underlining). Oh, and, Gaunt IS Beautiful. The guy at the Giant shop here (Roadrunner Bike) loved the shirt too, which sealed the deal as it being 'my local shop (LBS)' here!
Homemade GF bread, Homemade Agave 'infused' Almond butter, Organic (no HFCS Smuckers crap) yummy Jam.
GF Pasta with chili cheesy sauce. Should've written this down as I threw ingredients  and sauce into a pot of pasta...





Only. One. Per. Week. Really looking forward to the CocCoNut Porter.

Mmmm. I love this bad boy. Saving it for post- Tucson Bike Classic (3 day stage race)...if I have an acceptable performance.


Snow. In Tucson. Yes, Arizona, and not at elevation (only 2000ft).

Further Snow 'proof'. Windshield. (At stoplight).

One last little thing. I don't care much for competing on Strava (anymore, I did last summer) because I am training, not aimlessly racing ghosts of rides gone past...but THIS IS AWESOME!! I was riding (with a nice tailwind after a sprint workout yesterday). Two Mainers atop the leaderboard in Tucson, AZ on a LONG downhill segment! (Both James and I are not considered the heavy power-beasts that usually crush downhills)


Hope you all enjoyed my very atypical non-wordy post! I'm loving Tucson, if you even had to ask.

Yours in Glory,

Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment